November’s General Membership Meeting was the perfect way to get into the holiday spirit while hearing all about Festival of Trees (FOT)!
Website and Social Media Announcement
The Board of Trustees and Finance Committee have approved an update for the JLCU website! Starting in January, the platform and content will migrate to a new host and server. If you have experience in content migration, let Jenette Jurczyk, President Elect, know right away as they can use your skills!
Leadership is also developing a social media policy for Junior League since existing by-laws were written before Twitter began.
Bright Starts Vote
By a vote of 63 to 1, Bright Starts was approved for another two years while carrying out their three-year data collection plan. Congratulations to the Bright Starts team! We can’t wait to continue educating and supporting children and families in our community.
Done in A Meeting (DIAM)
Members brought bottles of wine to donate to the ever-popular Junior League Wine Tree. One lucky FOT attendee will win 6-foot Christmas Tree that comes with dozens of bottles of wine! Thank you to all members that have donated bottles for the Wine Tree!
Are You The Future of Junior League?
Emily Neal and January Boten, Nominating Committee Chair and Assistant Chair, told us about the 13 open leadership positions throughout JLCU for the next year. President-Elect, Executive Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Council Vice Presidents, and Placement Advisors are open for application.
If you’re interested, apply between November 15th and December 11th. Interviews will be held between January 4th and 15th and announcements will be made at the February 7th General Meeting. A link to the application will be in an upcoming Tuesday Tidbits.
Emily and January recommended you review the Membership Handbook for position requirements, and talk to your advisor and the current position holder to find out if one is right for you. As Jennifer Romine, current president, advised, the future of Junior League is up to us!
- T-Shirts: Kristen Sackley, VP of Membership, announced that JLCU t-shirts that were part of the first printing will be available to pick-up FOT weekend. You can still place future orders, please contact Kristen for details. T-shirts are a black fitted v-neck with white JLCU logo and cost $15.
- Shining Stars: We had two Shining Star Awards this month! Lyndsey Howell was nominated by Nikki Melander for helping to save and restore accounting documents after a system crash. Without you we’d all be lost! Our second Shining Star, Jenette Jurczyk was nominated by Sara Hubbard for helping find a last-minute replacement location for the November New Member Meeting. We know this is the start of a beautiful partnership with Harvest Market and Junior League of Champaign-Urbana.
Finance Council: Festival of Trees – All You Need To Know
- Allie Teagarden, Finance Council VP, gave us a run-down of events, fundraising, and general updates about our largest, most fun event of the year.
- The Daddy Daughter Dance scheduled on Friday, November 18th with a seating at 5:30 p.m. and a second at 7 p.m.
- Public Hours scheduled for Saturday, November 19th from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Sunday, November 20th from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Brunch with Santa and Mrs. Claus scheduled for Saturday, November 19th from 10:30 a.m. to 1p.m.
- On Saturday, November 19th, a new Sustainer Soiree scheduled from 6-8 p.m. All members are invited to join us for appetizers, light desserts, and a cash bar (plus entrance to the Tree Room) for $15.
- There are 20 trees, 14 wreaths, 34 auction items, and 7 vendors at this year’s FOT event. To date, almost $17,000 have been raised and $13,000 of in-kind donations have been made to the event. All money raised will go straight back to our JLCU programs which support the Champaign-Urbana community.
Katherine Eriksen, assistant chair of Training and Diversity, helped us learn and teach each other about Festival of Trees. The committee came up with a list of common questions about Junior League and the event, and each table brainstormed the best answers and then shared those with the meeting. Questions included, “what is the purpose of Festival of Trees?” and “what should I wear when volunteering?” If you have questions, make sure to reach out now to a FOT committee member or your advisor.
December Meeting/Holiday Social Announcement
Tuesday, December 6 will be the only Junior League meeting during December. From 6:30-7:30, new members will meet and socialize, and from 7:30-8:30, all members are welcome. Location will be upstairs at Harvest Market, 2029 S. Neil Street, Champaign.
See you all in December!